Friday, January 8, 2010

Review Session: Yeasayer's Odd Blood

Odd Blood by Yeasayer

Another heavily anticipated album coming out in 2010, and this should be the theme of the year since just about everybody has something coming out. But Yeasayer's new LP labeled Odd Blood had a special something in it because of how amazing I think they can be and how popular their debut album, All Hours Cymbals, was. Then to make the anticipation even greater they dropped the sensationally optimistic single "Amblin' Alp", which they had been playing live for years. It was totally upbeat, fun, and certainly up there with "2080" for their best track. So, if you couldn't this album had a lot to live up to in my opinion. Let's see if it did.
Odd Blood starts off with "The Children" a crawling, deep-toned track with a centered rhythm that grows on you after a few listens. It exits out with some horns and some simple synths that really add to the song. Not long after the album quickly jumps into "Amblin' Alp" which really blazes a trail for what is supposed to follow. The problem is that the album doesn't really hit this level of greatness again. That's the problem with having your best song in the second slot. Unless you have a slum of amazing tracks the rest of the album it can leave the listener disappointed. The album plateaus after "Amblin' Alp" into a a trio of ambitious tracks that are really good, but not at the quality of Yeasayer's ability. "Madder Red", "I Remember", and "ONE" are tremendous in their own right, but don't hit me as special. The mid-tempo, guitar-fueled track is lyrically dynamic, but holds back from the climax it starts to build. "I Remember" sounds like a angelic, disco song in slow motion. It is quite lovely and enlightening to listen too. "ONE" is a momentous track filled with a massive number of sounds that move throughout. It is a little Caribbean-based, but definitely enjoyable.
The second half only has two tracks I feel are worthy of talking about. The others are not bad, just not what I hoped for. Odd Blood is certainly front-loaded and not at all well-structured. It's kind of like MGMT's Oracular Spectacular in the fact that you only need the A-side of the record. However, if you did that on Odd Blood, you would miss out on the toe-tapping, triumphant "Rome" and the wild, blazing "Mondegreen". Both of which stir emotions whilst keep the body grooving. Despite some of my negative comments about Odd Blood I do think it is a fine album, but I really hope that Yeasayer take a new direction on the next album, because I was disappointed in Odd Blood. Maybe I expect more out of them, but I know these guys are musicians and not guys making music. So, therefore their music should be better. Regardless, the kept the lyrics simple, but intelligent which was pleasing and the hit big on some of their risks. So, overall I have to say the album still gives me goosebumps and I still listen to it over and over.

Rating = 7.9

No comments: