Monday, September 5, 2011

Review Session: The Big Blitz

I have fallen very behind on this blog and I apologize for that. But the reason is because of my drinking. Not that I am an alcoholic, but I have started a new blog in which I drink and review a beer everyday for a year! It's called The Beer Year. You should check it out if you haven't already. But I am about to make up for it in a big way! These are albums I have really liked this summer so they are going to have good scores. 


Bon Iver - Bon Iver

After a hugely successful debut album, Bon Iver's Justin Vernon decided to take his soft three piece and turn it into a big band with a big sound. He pretty much knocked it out of the park on this one. It is epically beautiful. It's was like seeing Paris for the first time or watching my wife walk down the aisle at my wedding. The tracks "Perth", "Michicant", and "Calgary"are gorgeous. However they are nothing compared to the gleaming spectacle that is "Holocene". It is one of the best tracks of the past few years.  And if you take a look at the track list and wonder where the hell are all of these places, just know that Vernon named the songs after places in his mind when he listened to the song, not actual places that exist. That is pretty cool to me.

Rating - 9.0


Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact


I really didn’t understand or like Gang Gang Dance’s debut album a couple of years ago, but they manage to grab my attention this go around with their more accessible, yet expansive sophomore album, Eye Contact. They are really the only band in the world that makes music like the do. It is all over the place, but so together at the same time. It is remarkable the number of sounds they use to create a single track. Just check it out for yourself.


Rating - 8.4


 
Cut Copy - Zonoscope


This is the third album from the Australian electronic dance group. Each of their albums have been well critiqued and successful in sales. So clearly they have the formula down. But sometimes this can lead to a stagnate album, but Zonoscope seems to be the most creative and grand album of the lot. Tracks like "Need You Know" and "Where I'm Going" are completely new to Cut Copy's style. They even finish the album with the mountainous 15 minute "Sun God". If you are looking to dance it up right, give Zonoscope some attention.

Rating - 8.5


The Antlers - Burst Apart


The last album The Antler's released in 2009 was a concept album about two people's journey to death by cancer while they lay in Hospice together. It was the most emotional, heart-breaking album that I have ever heard. It ripped my insides out during parts of it. This album is completely different. It is more of a rock album, no concept and less serious. While it does examine the individual as Hospice did, it is a living self. There are some great tracks on here and totally worth a listen or two.

Rating - 8.0


Beirut - The Rip Tide



-       Beirut is one of my favorite bands in the world and I think Zack Condon can do no wrong. I know it is a fault and that my score is biased, but his music really hits with me. He does it again on his mature, relaxed third album, The Rip Tide. It is less globally influenced and more concentrated on one’s self, whether that is Condon’s or someone else’s that is unclear. This is best enveloped in the beautiful track “The Peacock”. I loved the uplifting feel to this album and I hope you will like it too.

Rating - 8.1 



tUnE-yArDs - W H O K I L L


Despite the gimmicky type with which tUnE-yArDs spells their name, this is a pretty special artist. Merrill Gabrus has one of the most dynamic voices in music right now. She can sound powerful and determined or beautiful and complacent. There is a huge difference between those sounds and she can sing anywhere in between as well. She uses a multitude of instruments, loops and sounds to create a funky, wild album that is truly unique.

Rating - 8.5


John Maus - We Must Become The Pitiless Censors of Ourselves


This is my surprise album of the year. John Maus had spent most of his music career unfocused and lost within himself and behind his best friend Ariel Pink. While Ariel Pink was making ground-breaking albums and partying his life away, Maus was complacent to make simple music and party along with Pink. Then Maus broke free from his self constraints and made this album. It is fervent, fanatical, fathoming and at times frenetic. So far, this is my favorite album of the year. From top to bottom the track list is unstoppable. I feel that Maus has made one of those albums that people like my look for. It has character, great tunes, originality and a slight of hand that is tough to describe. You may not get what I am saying, because I barely do, but just listen to the damn thing. 


Rating - 9.1 





No comments: